Sunday, September 11, 2011

ten years

It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years, it feels like yesterday doesn't it? I still remember the call from my mother telling me a plane had hit the building. Like everyone I was completely overrun with emotions, paralyzed in-front of the televisions hoping in one way or another that everything would be OK...I spent hours, days in fact glued to the coverage, it is something that I will never forget.

 via laughing squid

I had left the city 5 months prior to 9/11, it was my home for a few years. I loved living there, it was home. The people made it, the vibe kept me going, the life, oh the life, the possibilities it offered, the fact that I was living the dream. I recall standing on 5th ave & 16th street outside of the Banana Republic I worked at when I first moved there, looking down I would see the World Trade Center and looking up the street I would see the Empire State building, I would say to myself, and to others at times, 'I can't believe I live here, me, Melissa from Missouri is living in Manhattan!'

via Flicker

I have only been back once since I moved. When I was visiting I went down to Ground Zero and it was overwhelming to say the least, the raw emotions I felt and those of the people that surrounded me made the experience that much more. NYC is a city that cannot and will not be broken, no matter what others will try to do this city is strong, alive, and a force. I love you NYC. Mel xo
© 2013 Veranda Interiors