Sunday, February 21, 2010

Late night Jenga...

I spent most of the day yesterday cooking and baking for a dinner we hosted last night. Everything turned out great and we had a blast with our fabulous guest Jodie & Eric.

We started the evening off with a simple cheese try and of course, some great wine.

DSC_0411.jpg picture by mamanzardo

For dinner Rob got the Green Egg going for the steaks. If you do not know what the Green Egg is you need to check it out!!!  For sides I served the lovely Barefoot Contessa's Mustard Roasted Potatoes, and an orzo salad that I could live off of. It is a recipe I created using elements from a few different salads.

Roasted Veggie & Orzo Salad
2 red peppers, diced into half inch pieces
1 red onion, diced into half inch pieces
2 zucchini, diced into half inch pieces
1 eggplant, diced into half inch pieces
1 c. toasted pine nuts
4 oz goat cheese (feta works as well)
1/2 C. fresh basil, thinly sliced
8 oz. orzo
Dressing
3.5 T. olive oil
3 T. pesto
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. fresh lime juice
Preheat the oven to 425. Combined all veggies with some olive oil, kosher salt, and coarse black pepper. Roast the veggies for 35 - 45 min, tossing occasionally. While the veggies are cooking you can cook the orzo as per the directions on the packaging. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together and pour over the hot pasta so the flavors blend well. Once the veggies are done add to them to the pasta and mix well. Just before serving add the goat cheese, pine nuts, and basil. 
This dish is best made the day before.
*You can add roasted or grilled shrimp to make this into a main course.


I can tell my baking skill are not what they used to be. My first attempt at a dessert was, well, not successful one bit. With 2 apples, some puff pastry, and a few pears left over I came up with a pretty good dessert that almost burnt down my kitchen. Once I got all of the smoke out of the house and scrubbed the oven down I topped it off with a pineapple and rum glaze, it was a hit.

 DSC_0406.jpg picture by mamanzardo



After 6 bottles of wine the games started coming out and the Jenga challenge was on. We had a blast, it went late into the night, and I will admit that I am feeling it today.

 DSC_0448.jpg picture by mamanzardoDSC_0463-1.jpg picture by mamanzardoDSC_0452-1.jpg picture by mamanzardo
© 2013 Veranda Interiors