Monday, December 27, 2010

A favorite post: Marble, my experiment...

Here is a re-post of one of my favorite science projects since the 6th grade...

So I did my little experiment with some samples of white marbles from our supplier. Here is the run down of of my findings, and keep in mind I really did abuse it, but I wanted to see what the worst case serious was.

Wine: Stains, little spots here and there are not bad, but if there is a drip on the ring of the glass then be prepared for something like this...


Coffee: While coffee does satin the marble as well it leaves a light yellow mark, unless you know it is there then I really think you will be OK with those. No image since it really does blend in, but yes, it does stain.

Citrus Fruits: What is the worst thing you can put on a marble surface? Try lemons, limes, or any citrus fruit. This isn't a stain or spot that I could look past, it ate away at the polish so there is a texture left. This is bad...very very bad.


Blood: OK, so from cutting steak, not human. We grilled up some flank steak the other night and I left the cutting board on top of the sample, the juices ran across the edge and this is what is left...


Durability: Softer than granite, it scratches when you drag something across it or cut on it (and yes, I know, use a cutting board, but this is my little experiment). Too difficult to get my point across with a pic. The great thing about it being a light color is it will hide the scratches more so than a darker slab.

So, am I crazy enough to use this as a counter-top material in my kitchen? I do keep a very clean and tidy house so I know that the staining will be kept to a minimum. But will I be able to consider the marks and scratches patina, like a well loved leather chair, it can get better with age? To be honest, the citrus test is something I am really going to have to consider...that my friends might just be the deal breaker.

What would you do? Go for it, make a rule of only white foods & drinks in the home, or run as fast as you can away from the maintenance and care that it will take to maintain? Mel xo
© 2013 Veranda Interiors