Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fireplace stone surround

We currently have a stone surround on our fireplace and I will admit I just love it...but I am feeling a little blah towards it. The way the light cascades off of it, the rustic feel it brings to the room, and the timber mantle that Rob made for me are the things I adore most. It is the simple silhouette of it, that is what is boring me.

Image my own

Here are a few images that I have found and also held on to for a few years now that are feeding my inspiration. This image below (please look past the handsome fella) has a more ornate corbel under the timber mantle, and the angled upper portion would add some interest to the space.

 Image via Uttermost

While this may be an exterior fireplace I do love the combination of stone & brick, that could be a possibility as well since that is what we are using on the exterior.

 Image via Eldorado Stone

Notice the angles on the end of the hearth, again, another option to add a but more interest.

Image via Unico

Here is something I haven't see that often, a traditional mantle and fireplace surround with the stone on the back portion. This wouldn't necessarily work in our next space but it is staying in my file for future homes and clients.

 Image via Country Living

Another example of an angle and smaller portion on the upper half of the chase. I am sure it is the colors and tones that draw me to this image. To me the scale seems off a bit. 

 Image via Houzz

Here is the image that I have been holding on to for the last 2 years. I am 99% positive this is the route I am going to take. The stone built-outs on each side of the fire box create more of wow factor than just taking it straight up from floor to ceiling. 

Image via Mountain Living

If you have a beautiful stone fireplace saved from an older blog post or magazine I would love to see it, the more inspiration the better!! Feel free to send it off to me at melissa@verandaestatehomes.com Thanks so much!! Mel xo
© 2013 Veranda Interiors