Friday, February 11, 2011

Fridays Favorite - Hali'imaile General Store

Today's favorite comes to you from Maui, it is one of our favorite restaurants on the island, Hali'imaile General Store in Upcountry. It is a must do if you are visiting the island, worth the dive from any location...it is a treat all around!


It is owned and operated by Bev Gannon & her husband Joe. The first of now 3 restaurants that they have opened up on the island. The food is phenomenal; from the appetizers of Oysters 'Rockefeller' with Kahlua Pork & the 'Famous' Crab Pizza to the O.M.G. sooo amazing lobster & avocado salad with kaffir lime & coconut vinaigrette finished off with Big Island hearts of palm & purple sweet potato chips, I think I will need to venture back just for that salad once more before we leave!


We also dined on the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi with tropical fruit salsa, mashed purple sweet potatoes, and mango lilikoi butter sauce along with the Opakapaka sauteed with bok choy in a pineapple coconut curry sauce.


And how could we leave without having desert!?!? My selection, the Chocolate Macadamia Nut Pie and the Hubs went for the Lilikoi Brûlée and Almond Brittle Cup...both will treat you well!!


While we were having our dinner Bev's husband Joe sat for his meal at a table behind us, we ended up chatting a bit and I told him how much I love the decor & design, the overall feel of the restaurant. I felt at home, I was planing my own General Store one day, I was inspired. He explained that he took Bev's vision and along with set designer Jeremy Railton they created this oasis that is a local favorite to all.

All image my own

I am going to miss the amazing restaurants here, my waist on the other hand will be happy to get back to a regular routine. If you are planing a trip to Maui and want any info on amazing restaurants, beaches, and secret locations let me know. We do consider this our second home and one day we hope to have the virtual home I have designed in my head as a reality. Mel xo
© 2013 Veranda Interiors