Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My 4 year old client...

This image is a pretty good example of what W, my 4 year old client and son said he want's his new room to look like...

Me: W, what do you want your new room to look like.
W: Candy
Me: Candy? You want a room made of candy?
W: Yes, and a candy bed.
Me: OK, well I will think about it. What about colors?
W: All of them.
Me: Like red, blue, what?
W: All of them, red, and blue, and green, and orange, and yellow, and I don't want M to have any of them, 
I get them all.
Me: OK love, we will have to give M at least one color. I will start working on it.

So where does that leave me, the colorphobe? I am an admitted tanorexic after all. The boys deserve fun spaces where they can be creative and let their imaginations run wild. I needed a starting point, something to guide us. I managed to find a great wallpaper that I am seriously considering for his room, it is just too fun!


His room has an incredible ceiling that reaches 13' tall at the peak, so I know that we can get away with this paper on one wall, possibly the one that will have his bed backing to it.
While looking for lights for the rest of the home I came across this from Curry & Company. I think this would be so fun for his space, and the light would cast some amazing designs on the ceiling as well. When I showed it to the hubs the other night W was on his lap and when he saw it he just started saying 'YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, I WANT THAT!!!!' I guess I am on the right track. Just concerned that it is a bit too small.
via Currey & Co.

Now his bed, I want something inexpensive since I know he will most likely want something very different in the next home. I saw this one below at Ikea and as soon as the Hubs saw it he nixed it. He had visions of him using the bed as a piece of gymnastics equipment, so I will continue to look. Let me know if you see anything fun out there!!
via Ikea

As far as linens go that will take some time. I think I am going to keep the window seat base cushion and bed linens neutral and play off of the colors with accent pillows, a valance for the window and some other fun items, maybe something like the items below...

 via Urban Outfitters

 via Pottery Barn Kids & Ikea

I am pretty happy with the start that we have on his room, but I will admit, I am stuck on M's room. My 2 year old isn't as verbal with interior directions as my 4 year old client. Mel xo
© 2013 Veranda Interiors