Thursday, August 5, 2010

White marble, do I dare??

I have long admired white marble counter tops in kitchens, whether it is Bianco Carrara, Calcutta Gray, or Arabescato Vagli, they are all stunning. It is classic and a if you get the right slab, a piece of art. Do I dare use it in our next home?

 Image via DecorPad

My first concern is the most obvious, the maintenance and care required. To put myself at ease I am picking up a larger sample from our supplier to keep in our kitchen for the next few weeks. I need to see how our life in the kitchen will blend with it, so I will be introducing it to coffee, wine, citrus fruits, and oils, all the things I tend to spill on occasion.

Image via DecorPad

My second concern is the tone to it, it is a very cool material and since we live in a climate with limited warm days and little sun in the winter you have to keep in mind the tones and warmth that the materials in your home carry, I don't want to feel like I am living in a sterile environment.

Image via Lucas Studios

Finally the size, I must make sure that we can get a complete slab for our over sized island. It also has to be the perfect slab, not too much gray and good movement with the veining.

Image via DecorPad

So tell me, if you have used white marble in your kitchen I would love to hear your experience with it, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to hearing what you have to say. Mel :)
© 2013 Veranda Interiors