Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Haunted House, how to...

I posted last week about the start of our Halloween decor and my favorite item...the haunted house I made. Once it is up in the foyer they boys know that trick or treating is just around the corner.


Since I made this a few years ago before a blog was even a concept for me I didn't take progress images, but I will try to give you all the details so you can create your own as well. The first thing that you will need to decide on is what doll house kit to use, 
for my project I used the Arthur Dollhouse Kit


I had Rob cut a piece of MDF that was 4" bigger than the size of the dollhouse so I had room to decorate. Once you have that you can start off by building the house and getting it all set up. When it is dry start to get it all ready for the Halloween season by painting it. I used an orange base paint and then used diluted black paint on top to give it a 'dirty' look.

When placing the shutters around the windows put them on crooked, make it look dilapidated and worn. That is what would scare you away from a home, isn't it? For the shingled I stained them with the diluted black paint as well for a weathered look. Add a bit of moss to the corners with a glue gun and let the scary factor grow.


For the base of the house use a glue gun to place more moss around for the ground. Along with moss I added twigs to the roof and the sides of the home. A place like Michale's has some small Halloween items that are perfect for this project where they keep the Halloween villages, I managed to pick up the little trees and a few skeletons from there.


Check out THIS site for some fun Halloween items to add to the surroundings. Pumpkins, headstones, spooky skeletons. This is where you can really make it your own!


So that is the low down on the haunted house that graces our foyer every year, I hope that you take on the challenge of making one yourself. It is sure to be a crown pleasure and something children will look forward to seeing year after year.



Some readers left comments last week asking about some of the items that I had sprinkled throughout our home. HERE is a link to the crows; they are great heavy card stock and can be used year after year.


The bats that are on all of our mirrors, most of our windows, and even the lights above our island can be purchased HERE. And I have searched on-line for the vintage looking tin posters, but I am not finding any. I did pick them up a few years ago at HomeSense, similar to Home Goods in the States.


And then the fun two black glittered chandeliers that I have above our kitchen sink can be found HERE. I hope that this gets you ready to get your home all spookified!!!


We really do embrace Halloween here, it will be hard to let go and I know the boys are going to miss it next year. Since we are moving from a suburban neighborhood to an acreage there will be no trick or treaters, or 'spookies' as W calls them. We will still do it up and have fun, but I will admit this is the one thing I will miss...all of the neighbor kids coming up to the door and screeching 'TRICK OR TREAT!'. 


I hope the new owners of our home embrace the fun that can be had. It doesn't take much, just a few spider webs, a fog machine, strobe lights, scary music,
lots of pumpkins, and tons of candy.


And of course some fun and festive characters that make themselves
at home during the season.

 
All Images via Veranda Interiors

OK, I will stop being all sentimental...for now. Have a great day and get the decor ready!! Mel xo


© 2013 Veranda Interiors