Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Where to start...

One thing I have learned over the years when selecting materials and colors for an entire home is to start with the counter-top surfaces in the kitchen area, this is usually the core that the rest of the home feeds off of. Typically you are limited to a few options of granites or marbles for use in your kitchen, while the paint fans & stain samples are endless for options.



This really became prevalent with our CURRENT HOME. I just had to have all of our trim & cabinets painted in Pratt & Lambert Lambswool...I tend to be a bit stubborn and this was one prime example.

 Pratt & Lambert Lambswool 11-30

Maybe it was the fact that I was pregnant with M at the time, short on patience, and I just wanted to be in the house. It was a vicious cycle that I started for myself, Lambswool has a gray undertone which made all of my other selections next to impossible. The marble in the bath was an alternative to what I wanted, along with the granite in the kitchen, and the tile back splash, I feel like I settled. Now don't get me wrong, I love the house and the way I turned out, it just wasn't the vision I had.

Image my own

Chalk it up to a learning experience. From now on I meet all of our clients at our granite & marble suppliers warehouse first. We look at the actual slabs (not the small samples), see the movement, pick up a few samples and work off of them. So far it is working way better than it did in the past and I know it is only going to help us create homes that are even more beautiful than we have in the past. Have a good one! Mel xo
© 2013 Veranda Interiors